Neighbourhood Recognition Program
FireSmart works best when people work together.
The Neighbourhood Recognition Program recognizes neighbourhoods who collaborate to reduce the risk of wildfire.
Ready to FireSmart your neighbourhood?
Seven steps to recognition:
Step 1 – Contact FireSmart Alberta to connect with your Local FireSmart Representative (LFR).
Step 2 – Your LFR visits your neighbourhood to introduce the Neighbourhood Recognition Program and familiarize themselves with your neighbourhood.
Step 3 – Establish a Neighbourhood FireSmart Committee.
Step 4 – Your LFR completes a Neighbourhood Wildfire Hazard Assessment before meeting with your Neighbourhood FireSmart Committee to provide recommendations towards risk reduction.
Step 5 – Your Neighbourhood FireSmart Committee prepares a Neighbourhood FireSmart Plan outlining actions to reduce the risk of wildfire and track your progress.
Step 6 – The fun part, throwing neighbourhood FireSmart events like educational BBQs, work bees, and chipping events. Note: Residents need to track their volunteer hours for your recognition application and annual renewals.
Step 7 – Apply for recognition or renewal with the support of your LFR.
Local FireSmart Representatives
Local FireSmart Representatives (LFRs) coordinate the FireSmart Canada Neighbourhood Recognition Program (NRP) for their Indigenous community or municipality.
Interested in becoming an LFR for your community?
Start your journey by attending an LFR Workshop and learn how to:
- Recruit a FireSmart neighbourhood committee.
- Participate in FireSmart neighbourhood committee meetings.
- Complete Neighbourhood Wildfire Hazard Assessments (NWHA).
- Help neighbourhoods develop a FireSmart Neighbourhood Plan.
- Engage in annual FireSmart neighbourhood events (education sessions, work bees, chipping events, etc.).
- Assist FireSmart neighbourhood committees and neighbourhood champions to complete the application and renewal process.
FireSmart Canada (FSC) Neighbourhood Recognition Program (NRP) forms and links
Apply for or renew your FireSmart Canada Neighbourhood Recognition and track your progress.
Events & Workshops
Check out the FireSmart Alberta Events page for a list of upcoming workshops and training opportunities.